The digital marketing campaign in an online marketing effort that is put forward by a company to drive traffic, engagement, increase brand awareness, conversions and revenue.
A robust digital marketing campaign strategy is essential to maximize the campaign performance and will help you achieve your campaign goals through the selected online marketing channels.
How to plan a digital marketing campaign?
There is a lot to cover in detail about planning a digital marketing campaign, but this should give you an idea on the series of action you should take to achieve your overarching marketing goal.
- Market research and competitor analysis. For you to launch a successful campaign, you have to understand the market, know what your competitors are doing, and build your buyers persona.
Research by surveying and interviewing the target audience so that you can have real data that you can use while making decisions.
This data will ensure that your campaign is in heading in the right direction in terms of digital KPIs that you had set for the campaign.
- Identify your goals and the marketing tools you will need. Your marketing goals should be tied to the original goals of your business.
For example, if your goal is to increase the revenue through online marketing by 25 percent, then the goal of a marketer should be to generate more than 50 percent of leads to their website.
Measure your goals using the proper digital marketing tools.
- Evaluate your existing digital channels and assets. It is crucial to consider the bigger picture when you are considering to incorporate new marketing strategy into your business.
There are several digital marketing channels available that you can choose from including, paid media such as google ads and paid social media posts, owned media such as blog content and social media profiles, and earned media such as guest posts and things like media mentions.
You might decide to include all the three channels (paid media, owned media, and earned media) or you can decide to choose the one you feel will bring about the best conversion rates.
- Audit and plan your owned media campaign. Owned media is usually the heart of your digital marketing. Audit everything, including the existing content and identify the gaps that are in your existing content. Then after the auditing create a content plan that will help you meet your objectives.
- Audit and plan your earned media campaigns. This will help you get an idea of where you should focus your time.
- Audit and plan your paid media. The process is the same as auditing and planning your earned media campaigns.
- Bring it all together. After evaluating and planning, you will most probably have a vision of the elements that are going to make your digital marketing campaign a success.
Digital marketing campaign strategy workflow:
A digital marketing strategy is an overall plan that you and your business implements to attract and reach many people so that the business goals can be achieved.
Digital marketing strategy is a strategy that only focuses on digital marketing alone.
Creating a successful digital marketing strategy requires you to follow the steps we gave in how to plan a digital marketing campaign.
Create the customer persona, identify your goals, audit all the existing strategies, and create a marketing plan that is going to help you achieve your goals.
Digital marketing campaign strategy template:
For effective digital marketing, you need to have a template that you should follow.
You don’t just jump in digital marketing without a proper template. Follow these five steps to execute your digital marketing campaign:
- Plan. The very first thing you do is a plan. We have already discussed how to plan for a digital marketing campaign.
- Reach. This is where you grow your audience online. Select the best communication options and optimize your digital communications.
- Act. Identify the best options that are going to increase conversions and make sure to prioritize on content marketing as well as your customer’s journeys. Manage your content and lead generation.
- Convert. Review the focus to increase the conversion to sale. Also, make sure to manage continuous improvement of conversion.
- Engage. Review the potential to increase your customers’ activity levels. Define a plan to improve your customer retention and engagement.
Here is a handy digital marketing plan template that you can use to speed up your planning process.
Types of digital marketing campaigns:
There are various types of digital marketing that you can choose to use, and they include:
- Search engine marketing and pay per click advertising (PPC).
- Search engine optimization (SEO).
- Content marketing.
- Affiliate marketing where you use the help of affiliate marketers to do the marketing for you.
- Influencer marketing.
- Mobile phone marketing.
- Email marketing.
- Viral marketing.
- Social media marketing where you use social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram to do marketing.
Best digital marketing campaigns:
Digital marketing is always constantly evolving, which makes it difficult for many businesses to determine how best to plan the marketing campaign that they will be distinguished from other businesses.
You can always learn a thing or two from a successful digital marketing campaign which includes:
- Adidas –Digital Marketing Strategy.
- IHOP name change that boosted the brand. Being very creative is very important in digital marketing.
- Telsa – Engaging with their followers on twitter which helps them create some kind of loyalty.
- Nike attempt to unlock the potential of Chinese football.
- GoPro – Utilized user-generated video content to promote their brand.
What are some of the key takeaways in terms of best digital marketing campaign strategy from the above brands?
- Make it easy for your users to generate content by providing marketing tools and use the user-generated content to promote your brand.
- Use Twitter wisely! Twitter enables brands to engage directly with their potential customers that are both timely and emotionally stimulating.
- YouTube, best way to promote a brand using video content. Brands such as Geico launched a series of pre-roll ads on YouTube to entertain buyers and generate traffic.
- Tell stories. Mastercard is a great example of a brand can use story-telling to engage with readers and become a travel resource.
From the above example, you can see that creativity, timing, and targeting are significant factors in digital marketing and it is over to you to know the best way to personalize your engagement with the customers to maximize conversions.
Digital marketing campaign examples 2019
- Buffer – Excellent in content marketing.
- Hubspot – Awesome digital marketing resources
- GE – Perfect in social media marketing.
- Zamato – Uses humor, fun, sarcasm and much more
Digital marketing campaign strategy helps businesses to stay focused, make the right decisions, and follow a systematic approach to achieve business goals.
There is a lot of competition, and creating an effective digital marketing campaign requires you to plan tactfully and follow a digital marketing template.
Know how to personalize your customers, and there is a high chance your digital marketing campaign is going to be a success.